This cake recipe is not from traditional Czech cuisine but it’s very popular and often seen on czech tables. The Prussia cake is old recipe from Germany and I remember every time when when my grandma was baking this type of cake. There are more traditional cakes with lattice style (pastry used in a criss-crossing pattern of strips), but this one with poppy seeds is one of the most favorite.
The recipe doen’t need to be with poppy seeds or cream filling, but you can try apples, cheese cream or plum jam.
How to make Prussia Cake
The recipe is make from a yeast. For yeast you need warm milk, sugar and active dry yeast. If you have different type of yeast, you will need to check how much yeast to add (a measure between dry active yeast and fresh yeast is different). Don’t forget! Good yeast is the key of all cakes and breads!
In a bowl mix flour and the rest of a ingredients and stirit with prepared foamy mixture which you make from butter, sugar and yolks.
Traditional Prussia cake
- Baking tray 15 X 10 inch
- Wooden spoon
- 160 ml Warm oat milk All types of milks
- 10 g Sugar
- 1,2 tsp Instant fast active yeast
- 70 g Butter
- 49 g icing sugar
- 3 Eggs's whites
- 400 g Plain flour
- 1 pinch Salt
- Orange skin
- Extra flour and oil for tray
Poppy seeds filling
- 1 cup Milk
- 150 g Poppy seed
- 110 g Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Honey
- 20 g Butter
- 400 g Creme fraiche
- 2 tsp Honey
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 30 g Icing sugar
- Place 160 ml of the warm milk or water in a small bowl. Stir in teaspoons sugar and Sprinkle the yeast over the surface of the mixture.
- Let a mixture rest for min. 10 minutes or until a little bubbles appear or mixture is foamy.
- In a large bowl stir softened butter with sugar and yolks. The mixture shoudl to be foamy.
- In another bowl mix flour, salt, orange skin stir it together with butter/sugar mixture and yeast.
- Make soft dought and let rest it for one hour or more if a dought is not raised enough.
Poppy seeds fillings
- In a small pan warm up a milk and add poppy seed, sugar, honey and butter.
- Stir slowly until a mixture is tougher.
- In a bowl stir Creme Fraiche with sugar, honey, lemon juice. Set aside until a dough is ready.
- Take leavened dough and get ready floured baking sheet.
- Work it out slightly and separate one third into the grids.
- Roll out the rest on a thinner plate, place it in the middle of the erased and floured baking sheet and spread it with your hands to a larger rectangle.
- Use your fingers to shape the edges, spread the dough on the filling and smooth the surface with a flat knife or an inverted spoon.
- From the remaining dough, make a thin and long strips and cross them on the cake. Spread yolk on the edge of the cake, let it soak for 10 minutes and then bake in an oven to to 180 ° C for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cut the cooled cake into pieces. Enjoy!